All - I've really appreciated Megan keeping you updated over the past couple of months on my situation. However, I thought it would be good to send out an email directly from me now that the results of my tumor are in so you can hear what's on my heart at this time.
Well.... the wait is finally over and we have a definitive answer. They have diagnosed my tumor as an intermediate grade Myxoid Liposarcoma. This doesn't come as much of a surprise as this is what the doctor has thought from the initial scans and the scenario we have been working off of. We just now have baseline to work from. Now I know "our" first prayer request has been that it be benign, but we don't consider that an unanswered prayer request, just one that must have been our will and not his. As we proceed, we will continue to pray and ask for your prayers, that God work through these doctors and treatments to rid the cancer from my body. However things turn out, I stand firm that God has the ability to heal, by miracle and medicine and that he will always answers our prayers... whichever way he answers Yes, No or Later! But, knowing that this cancer didn't surprise God has brought me great peace and comfort that he remains in control and I am just a vessel for him to be glorified.
I can't thank you enough for all your prayers and support, we have definitely felt them over the past month and a half and there remains a calm peace over our family as we proceed down this journey. I however, continue to pray even harder for those who are less fortunate and worse off than I.
We are also so thankful for the outpouring of love though letters, emails, texts, babysitting and meals. What a blessing and testament it has been to what true biblical community looks like, it just changed a little bit over the last few thousand years how we express it.
As I have contemplated my own situation over the last few weeks, there have been many thoughts that have run through my head, but not once have I asked Why. There are a couple verses continue to bring solace and clarity. Romans 8:18 and 28... 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth with the glory that is to be revealed to us. and 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. I know many of you have experienced cancer first hand, either with a loved one or you yourself. Some often will say, why me or why so young. I continue to come back to the question that God really wants us to ask...how can I use my situation to glorify God?
I came across this while reading through some John Piper sermons, and he was able to capture what I was feeling. "The glory of God is manifested when he heals and when he gives a sweet spirit of hope and peace to the person that he does not heal, for that, too, is a miracle of grace! That we might be a people among whom God is often healing our sicknesses, but is always causing us to be full of joy and peace while our sicknesses remain."
So at this point, we are trying to determine how radiation will proceed. As we get ready to depart for vacation this Friday to spend some needed rest in the mountains of Colorado, we are going to put aside the craziness and enjoy relaxing, hiking and fishing. After retuning on Father’s Day, we’ll check back in with reality. Best case scenario, we'll be able to start radiation June 20th.Worst case it might not start till last week of June or first week of July. Either way, a week or two delay doesn't seem to be a big concern. From there we are assured that there will be 5 days a week for 5 weeks worth of radiation, a few weeks of rest and then complete removal of the tumor. We did learn today that the removal of the tumor will be much more extensive than we initially thought. The Dr. estimated that they will cut 4 inches above, 4 inches below and 3 inches across the back of the crease of my knee. Something of an S type pattern, so I have that to look forward to. But by the grace of God, there should be no loss of function or residual effects once it's removed.
After the surgery, the typical long-term monitoring will be put in place for cancer patients who are in recovery/remission. So that is what we know now and we'll keep all in the loop. We can't thank enough for all your prayers and concern and thank you in advance for the additional prayers that we are asking for.
Here are some of our prayer requests that we continue to lift up to GOD!
1. Continued healing from the biopsy and reduction in swelling of the tumor;
2. Quick determination and implementation of plan to undergo radiation, effectiveness of radiation, and no complications;
3. As God continues heal, that this cancer not be wasted and the glory goes to the creator and not created things like medicine or machines;
4. For our Dr's to continue to communicate as a team and remain aligned on next steps;
5. Daily revelation of where God wants us to be witnessing and serving through this process and to give us the boldness and wisdom to do so;
6. Continued blanket of God's peace & strength.
If anyone is interested, here are a couple of resources that have been helpful to us through these past couple of months. Please feel free to pass along to others in need.
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/dont-waste-your-cancer
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/christ-and-cancer
With Much Love,
Taylor, Megan and Jason
James 1: 2-3 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
No comments:
Post a Comment